What causes frequent urination at bedtime?

My healthy 11 yo son has been experiencing frequent urination at bedtime. He feels it has been happening for 6 months plus, but it has become noticeable to me this past week. He has a drink / water with his dinner 6:30 pm then a gulp of water when he brushes his teeth. Bed at 8:30 and 3-4 visits to the toilet with what he labels... A big wee. I don't feel it is a UTI because he has no daytime symptoms. He is very stressed by not being able to go to sleep, he is tired. I am know focussing on the psych side and just trying to distract him. But wondering if there maybe something medically relevant that I should consider. He has mild anxiety symptoms of nail biting, finger sucking, little OCD habits but overall he is a great, normal kid. He is a high achiever at school but also very casual about his abilities. He is from a strong and close family unit of 2 parents and 2 younger brothers. How can I help him? What else should I consider. Interested in your site. With thanks XXXX
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: needs evaluation Detailed Answer: Though it appears mainly a behavior issue .. it needs tests like 24hr urine osmolality urine volume for 24 hrs and urinary sodium sugar and osmolality. It's good to have these reports normal. Often it is wise to get urine tested for microscopy and culture. rule out infection. If all is normal he may need psychological counselling. So its better to meet a pediatrician/child psychiatrist to plan the same.