What causes fluctuation in platelet count in newborn baby?

My Son was born this 10-Jan. with low weight 1.65Kg and put on nursery for observation with decrease in platelets from 1.5L initally to 50K yesterday with increase in weight to 1.69Kg. Please Guide.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Low birth weight baby Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Since the organs wouldn't have reached their maturity in a low birth weight baby, it is very common to see the effects of organ dysfunction. Low platelet count , fluctuation blood sugar levels, dehydration, jaundice are very common. Need not worry a good hospital care in a neaontal ICU would surely help your baby gain some weight and reach safe zone. Is essential to observe the baby and correct the blood anomalies for few days hereon. Regards,
Follow-up: What causes fluctuation in platelet count in newborn baby? 2 hours later
Sir, My Son is still in Nursery can you please provide me a list of precaution to be taken when he will be at home. And What are the basics thing to be remember while handling premature baby. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Below are the tips Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. There is no much difference in handling a premature baby, below are sme gneral tips. Keep the baby warm always. No feeds other than mother's breast milk. No frequent handling using sanitizer everytime you touch the baby. Mother should follow god proteinaceous diet. Roming in Regards,