What causes fatty liver and how can I improve my liver condition?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hello, I have been diagnosed thanks an ultrasound that I have a fatty liver. I've been said, 15% about of fat. Triglyceride is not high at 125 and total cholesterol 151. Low globulin 1.92, A/G ratio 2.53, total bilirubin 2.3, direct bilirubin 0.6, SGPT 59, other values normal. I would like to know what to do to improve my liver and lose that fat. I read that usually fatty livers are from triglycerides, but in my case my blood level is ok, so how can you explain this? Thank you and happy new year.
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fatty liver causes apart high triglycerides... Detailed Answer: Hi and Happy New Year to you too! Apart high triglycerides levels (which is not your case); there are other factors contributing in "converting" your liver to fatty. However, before running into conclusions, I'd kindly ask you to indicate : - if you do drink alcohol (quantity, how often) - your diet menu - if you suffer of diabetes/hypertension/hepatitis C - medications you take (if any) - your age and weight All these information would help me assist you further to identify the right cause of your fatty liver. Please bare in mind that fatty liver has different stages. Could you please send in the ultrasound report or other test report that has identified fatty liver? Looking forward to have the requested data of yours! Thank you! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes fatty liver and how can I improve my liver condition? 2 hours later
Hello, I stopped drinking alcohol since 1 st of October, now ocasionally i would drink one beer once a week. I am 37, male and weight 86 kg. My diet is not perfect but also not too bad, I often eat japanese food (more than once a week), but sometimes also pasta and XXXXXXX since i am italian. I remember i was diagnosted with slightly fatty liver also when I was 20 yo, but my doctor said that was nothing to be worried about. Now it happened again, anyway I am asking my hospital to,give me more a report of the ultrasound, thanks. 2 months ago i had slightly high blood pressure, around 150/90 and anxiety, so i was put on Bystolic 5 mg once a week. Regarding the bilirubin i always had it higher, maybe i have XXXXXXX syndrome? Thanks. I will send you more info as soon as possible.

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Try to follow the right diet and lifestyle habits. Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. I am glad to come to know that you have already stopped drinking alcohol. I do suggest to avoid it totally if it is possible. That could one of the causes of having fatty liver. You are reporting to have fatty liver since you were young by the age of 20 years. If this is your case, I'd ask "when did you start using alcohol"? Diet changes are also important in improving your fatty liver. With regards to high bilirubin levels, I'd like to have your lab results first before running into conclusions.. Looking forward to have the results of your blood work as soon as possible! Thank you! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes fatty liver and how can I improve my liver condition? 6 minutes later
Hello, Thanks for your reply, but i have never been a heavy drinker. I used to drink some wine, one or two glass a day maximum. Regarding my bilirubin i already wrote you the results. Regarding my blood test im attaching it.

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Fatty liver... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. Although you are not a heavily alcohol-drinker, however, you have been using it since you were young continuously. It is normal for the liver to have some fatty deposits. However, if such fatty deposits would get worse leading to steatosis (damages to the liver by the abnormal fatty deposits). Your blood results are ok generally, with slightly elevated bilirubin, together with elevated transaminases. Although fatty liver, we should look for other viral infections of the liver which can contribute to fatty liver too. So, I'd insist to do the analysis for the virus B and C. All the best! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes fatty liver and how can I improve my liver condition? 44 minutes later
Hello, I am still waiting for my detailed report of the ultrasound, maybe tomorrow, anyway in my checkup in the brief explaination it says i have a mild fatty liver and no mention of stheatosis. Regarding hepatitis they have checked A and C and I was found negative, I dont know why they did not check the B. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Looking forward to have the reports of ultrsound.. Detailed Answer: Hello back, Thank you for following up. Once the results of your ultrasound you had, then, should evaluate the stade of hepatic steatosis (fatty liver) I am glad to come to know that the tests for hep A and C were negative. With regards to hep B, you might have been vaccinated when you were younger. This could explain why no report for hep B. Looking forward to have the results of your ultrasound soon! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes fatty liver and how can I improve my liver condition? 2 days later
Hello, Here are my ultrasound of abdomen. Thank you .

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Echo reports mild fatty liver-cause high AST,bil.. Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. I have seen your ultrasound reports, and noticed only mild fatty liver; there is no evidence for steatosis stage. So, the slight elevation seen in your AST and bilirubin could be partially linked to mild fatty liver and to common infection (such as flu/common cold,etc.). At the end, I do not see anything worrisome in your results. However, I still insist to continue conducting a healthy lifestyle and diet regimen. I also advise to repeat the blood testing after 4 weeks. If AST would be normal, and the bilirubin level is still high; then, we must think on Gilbert's syndrome (congenital high bilirubin levels). All the best! Dr.Klerida