What causes excessive blood loss,blood clots,appetite loss and severe abdominal and back pain during periods?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi, my name is XXXXXXX I'm having a lot of trouble. I went to the doctor today but i really feel that he was wrong about what i have. He really only paid attention to one symptom and thats it. I have been on my period for 7 days now. The first 4 days all i was doing was passing blood clots constantly, and now im bleeding but passing clots 3 to 4 time an hour or more. I have sever lower abdominal pain, and it also shoots up my back from lower to upper. But also i can not lay down and lay down straight it hurts my stomach. and when i need to pass gas or poop i feel like it is ripping my lower abdominal area out. This doctor seems to think i have chlamydia, or gonorrhea now i know i do not have either because i have gotten tested in the last 3 months and since ive gotten tested i have not had sexual intercourse just for the fact that i have herpes. but have never had an out break.and ive all so had a loss of appetite. i cant keep going threw this excruciating pain any long and i also dont have insurance so im kind of at a loss at what to do. please help me,.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Anti fibrinolytic and antispasmodic drugs Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Excessive blood loss during periods is called menorrhagia. Along with blood loss you are having pain also, which is called as dysmenorrhea. The possible causes for your problem are : - Endometrial abnormalities like polyps, thickening etc. - Hormonal abnormalities. Sometimes hormonal abnormalities can lead to delayed periods. When the periods comes after long gap, there is possibility of heavy flow with pain. -Uterine fibroids, adenomyosis -Endometriosis -If there is any possibility of pregnancy, once miscarriage to be ruled out. -Pelvic inflammatory disease. So, better to go for ultrasound once with your doctor's advice. Ultrasound helps in finding out the possible cause for your problem and treatment can be taken accordingly. Meanwhile you can use combination of anti fibrinolytic and antispasmodic drugs with your doctor's advice. This will help in decreasing the bleeding and pain. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes excessive blood loss,blood clots,appetite loss and severe abdominal and back pain during periods? 8 minutes later
so excessive bleeding, blood clots, and loss of appetite and extremely extremely bad pain in lower abdominal and back is what? not to mention when the doctor did a pap smear i almost jumped off the bed screaming and crying because he touched my cervix.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pelvic inflammatory disease, missed abortion Detailed Answer: Hi, The possibilities are : -Pelvic inflammatory disease leading to increased blood supply to pelvic organs. That can cause increased blood flow during periods and also pain abdomen. Inflammatory changes in the lower genital parts can lead to pain when touched. - If there is possibility of pregnancy, missed or septic abortion to be ruled out. -Endometriosis can also sometimes lead to menorrhagia and pain abdomen. When endometriosis involves pouch of XXXXXXX etc, that can lead to pain when cervix is touched etc. So, better to go for ultrasound once. As you are having excessive pain and bleeding, better to go for injectable medicines instead of oral drugs. After the symptoms get relieved, go for through evaluation to find out the exact cause and get treated accordingly. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes excessive blood loss,blood clots,appetite loss and severe abdominal and back pain during periods? 1 hour later
what is the best thing to do with pain if i do have endometriosis? my mom has it and she says ibuprofen and a heating pad. i cant afford pain pills.

Brief Answer: You can try Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, you can try the treatment as told by your mother. If the pain persists after that also, you have to go for specific therapy. In case of endometriosis, you may need hormonal pills along with analgesics to decrease the symptoms. Ultrasound helps in diagnosing the actual cause of the problem. Take care.