What causes enlarged vein on left of forehead when down with flu?

enlarged vein on left of forehead. have the flu. just on the one side
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need clarifications... Detailed Answer: Hi, Enlarged vein on the left temple is not always concerning; but this is something that cannot be ignored. Hence I need few details to triage the problem: 1. Are you experiencing headache? Or have you recently (in the last couple of days) suffered a headache? 2. Is this enlarged vein tender to touch? 3. Do you notice a color change on this blood vessel? 4. Do you suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes or renal disease? 5. If you have a blood pressure recording instrument (sphygmomanometer), please check your blood pressure. 6. Did you sustain injury to your head? Based on the current information given, the enlarged vein may be related to the flu infection and nothing serious. I shall await for your response to comment further. Best Regards
Follow-up: What causes enlarged vein on left of forehead when down with flu? 12 hours later
Yes to headache but less intense as cough and flu symptoms (fever etc.) diminish. Vein was very tender to touch but less so today except when I cough. Color change - not sure as it hasn't been visible up to now. No to renal, high bp and diabetes. Average of 5 bp readings is 127 over 92 with heart rate of 97. No head injuries. Concern is vein on left side is normal and non-palpable.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Observe for a couple of days... Detailed Answer: Enlarged blood vessel along with tenderness is feature of inflammation. Temporal artery which is located in this area gets swollen and tender secondary to temporal arteritis - which needs extensive evaluation. However since you have other signs of flu infection, the enlarged vein seems most likely secondary to headache or part of flu infection. As the symptoms are gradually reducing, I am not very concerned. You can wait and observe for couple of days. If the tenderness and swelling doesn't reduce in the next couple of days, I would refer you to the local doctor for clinical examination. Your current blood pressure is under normal limits now. You need not be worried. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards