What causes enlarged lymph node next to the tooth that was extracted?

I developed a lump next to the tooth I had pulled. I asked the Dentist if it was anything to worry about and she said that is was muscle. When I went to my Internest last month I showed it to him and he sent me for an ultra sound. Ths impression was an inhomoeneous vascular solid mass in the right submandibular region corresponding to the clinically palable lum. This probably represents a pathologically enlarged lymph node and clinical correlation is recommended. I was sent to my surgeon and he examined it and said we should wait for 6 weeks to see if it goes down and if not he will send me to an eye ear nost throat M.D. It is making me very nervous and I wanted to see what you thought. Also he put me on Keefex last Friday. What do you think.
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query I need little more info in order to come to a better conclusion 1. Why was the tooth pulled? What were the symptoms you had 2. Approximately how large is the lump? 3. When the doctor examined you did he find any other enalrged lymph node? 4. Is it painful to touch? 5. Please confirm the tablet your taking. Is it Keefex or Keflex? If it is Keefex then please tell the contents of it. Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards
Follow-up: What causes enlarged lymph node next to the tooth that was extracted? 15 hours later
The tooth was the bottom moler on the right side. I have a partial and it hooked on it because it held the partial on. I took a bite (9/9/13) felt something funny and the top of the tooth broke off. I immediately went to the Dentist and it took 2-/1/2 hours to get all the pieces out. She said it was because the tooth had 2 root canals and it was like cement. She gave me a z=pack (erthromyacin) and kept checking it. When it finally healed she made a new partial which still does not fit properly. 2x2.1x3.3 the ultrasound said. He didn't say anything about any other enlarged lymph node. No it is not painful to touch. Sometime I get little twinges of pain, but not often. Kefllex generic for cephalexin 500 mg - 30 tablets.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Lymph node enlargement secondary to infection Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query It looks like the enlargement lymph node is secondary to the gingival infection and trauma. Lymph nodes often get enlarged because of infection of the oral cavity, they have put you on the right antibiotic treatment. The lymph node should regress in size in 6 weeks time, however if the lymph node further enlarges in size or becomes tender then the next step in treatment would be get a fine needle aspiration of the lymph node/ biopsy of the lymph node done to check for the cause of the enlarged lymph node. I would like to add here that since there is a definite history of undergoing oral surgery and there is enlargement of the corresponding lymph node it is least likely to be anything else apart from infection related enlargement of the lymph node. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me Regards