What causes elevated iron level?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I recently had a blood test where my iron level was slightly raised. I was quite surprised as I am vegetarian, drink lots of tea, do not take any iron supplements or drink red wine etc. Why might my iron levels be slightly raised and what can I do to bring it down? I would be grateful for any information. I also came out as having low neutrophils. Could this be in any way related? Should I see my GP or are my results fine? (Results included below) Kind Regards Katrina (age 53) Iron Profile IRON * 26.2 umol/L 6.6 - 26.0 T.I.B.C 60 umol/L 41 - 77 TRANSFERRIN SATURATION 44 % 20 – 55 White Blood Cells WHITE CELL COUNT * 2.72 x10^9/L 3.0 - 10.0 Neutrophils * 1.32 x10^9/L 2.0 - 7.5 Lymphocytes * 1.11 x10^9/L 1.2 - 3.65 Monocytes 0.25 x10^9/L 0.2 - 1.0 Eosinophils 0.04 x10^9/L 0.0 - 0.4 Basophils 0.00 x10^9/L 0.0 - 0.1 BLOOD FILM REPORT Neutropenia with some reactive/atypical lymphocytes. Neutrophils show a shift to the left. Consider viral infection.
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to HCM Detailed Answer: You should not lower it at all since this is just slightly elevated iron which isnt indicating any pathology.It can be normal and if you repeat test in few weeks I sm sure that result will be different. There are some diseases which go with elevated iron but there would be also some other lab findings abnormal and you would have certain symptoms. Iron level depends on iron intake and apsorption in bowels so you may have high bowel apsorption. Also, if there is increased red blood cells production then iron may be temporarily elevated in blood. And more possible, it is elevated due to viral or bacterial infection.. Iron is found in many vegetables so this is nothing strange. I dont suggest to avoid iron rich food since it may have bad effect on blood picture. Just have diet as you had and repeat test in few months. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards