What causes dry cough after fever?

Y 5 year old woke up with a fever of 102 yesterday. I took her to the doctor and he said she had the flu and prescribed tamiflu. Worh that being said, she atill has the fever of 101.5-102.5 but no other symptoms except a dry cough. She has had the cough for over the week prior. Shes starving and normal. I do not feel this is the flu but what else could it be?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer: fever Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your question. I am sorry about your child's illness. If this is the flu, then a course of Tamiflu could shorten the course of the illness. However, I would still anticipate a few days of fever and discomfort, including cough. If this isn't the flu, I would say the most likely diagnosis is still a viral illness. These are ultimately harmless, although, like the flu, the children may be uncomfortable for a few days. In either case, hydration is vital. Appetites may decrease but fluid intake must not stop. Cough medicines are typically not recommended in pediatrics. But sometimes a cool mist vaporizer or humidifier can be helpful. I suggest that if the fever persists for another 2-3 days, you have your child re-examined. Regards,