What causes delayed periods with cramping,breast tenderness and yellow discharge?

Hi, I am 4 days late for my period, but often have irregular periods. However, I am experiencing many period related symptoms like cramping and tender breasts. I also have cloudy urine and a lot of yellow discharge. I took a pregnancy test, just to make sure, and it came back negative. Any ideas?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help... Detailed Answer: The most likely explanation for your delayed period and negative pregnancy test is because you either had a delay in when you ovulated OR you did NOT ovulate. This is a common occurrence, and sometimes confused by the preponderance of cycle related symptoms that mimic pregnancy, like you are experiencing. This can be associated with things like PCOS, or polycystic ovarian syndrome, thyroid disease, diabetes, or abnormal elevation in a hormone called prolactin. These can all be easily evaluated by your OB/GYN. As far as the cloudy urine and yellow discharge, these are unrelated to the cycle related problem, and could indicate a vaginal infection and/or a bladder infection. These, also, can easily be evaluated by your OB/GYN. Please let me know if this helps and if you have additional questions.
Follow-up: What causes delayed periods with cramping,breast tenderness and yellow discharge? 1 hour later
What is the likelihood that the pregnancy test just showed a false result? And should I take another later just to make sure. I really don't want a surprise later on... Also, thank you so much for helping me out! I was really worried!
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for the followup question... Detailed Answer: The chance of a false negative is extremely low, almost zero. I usually tell patients that the earliest that it will turn positive is about 2 weeks after conception. I also tell patients to check now and repeat the test in 1-2 weeks to cover this window of possibility adequately. I hope that this helps and good luck!