What causes deformity in joints,wrist and ankle?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi , hi have had an accident more than two years ago .I fell on my hips and i felt severe pain that shook my whole back bone .Attached are the MRI scans that I got 2 months after the accident. As a result of the fracture and compressed disks, I feel apin all the time and i am on pain killer everyday since then. I notice that there is a non stop damage .Now after two years ,though the pain didnt stop for a moment day and night ,I notice very clear deformity in my joints ,wrist and anckle .My family doctor dignosed the deformity as tendonitise and i read on the web that this case is a non-stop case and i really notice that i am getting worse day after day .could you please tell me how to find the effective cure for my case .I think that it is necessary to tell that the fall was caused by a dog that attacked me ,as i result a have developed great fear of dogs that forced me to stay at home for fear of seeing a dog and might fall again .Now i am physically and mentally sick .
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get yourself examined by an Orthopaedician. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I can understand your pain and anxiety. Deformity in my joints ,wrist and ankle could be due to degenerative or inflammatory arthritic changes. You need xrays of involved joints to access the degree of arthritic changes and deformity. I would suggest you to get yourself examined by an Orthopaedician for multiple joint pains and deformity. You would be asked to undergo few blood tests like Hb, RBS, TLC, DLC, ESR, RA factor, CRP and Thyroid profile along with x-ray of involved joints. These investigations will help us find out the exact cause. Discuss with your doctor. I would also like to give some advice to make the life better and to fight with these pains- Do regular physiotherapy of joints. Hot fomentation to decrease the joint stiffness Hot bath of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate)-Magnesium has both anti-inflammatory and anti- arthritic properties and it can be absorbed through the skin. Eat a diet rich in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care