What causes decreased menstrual flow after wearing tampons?

I'm active and in a lot of sports. My menstrual flow is normal. I don't wear tampons all the time but when I do, it decreases my blood flow. Sometimes it even stops but a few hours after I take the tampon out, sometimes it will start back up. Is this normal or is it something wrong, I've been worried about it.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is normal! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. Because of your intense sporting activities, the volume of your menstrual flow is greatly reduced. A tampon does not necessarily stop the flow but greatly reduces the feeling of your menses flowing by absorbing the small amounts flowing out. When you remove it, the direct contact of blood with the skin generates these sensations of flow and the impression that it is flowing in greater volumes. Some athletes with intense sporting activities even fail to see their menses at all. At least you do and this is essentially normal. I wish you the best of health. You are very healthy and there is no need to get worried. Feel free to ask for any clarification and more questions if need be. Thanks for having used our services to address your health query today. Dr. Ditah, MD.