What causes decrease in sperm count and is morphology an important factor in fertility?

Infertility Specialist
I had a semen analysis performed in Aug 2/13 with: 2.5 ml volume; normal viscosity/vitality; 46% motility; 5million/ml count and 52% abnormal morphology. variation in size of head and/or tails. malformation of acrosomal/postacrosomal region..based on WHO 2000. Nov 19th: 1.5 ml volume; normal viscosity/vitality; 55% motility; 5 million count, 70% abnormal morphology with malformation of acrosomal/postacrosomal region..WHO 2000. My question is: Why would my volume decrease and morphology increase if I ate a healthier diet (ie: more Vit C intake, antioxidant supplements, gogi berries, nuts, and many of the foods recommended to increase sperm count/morphology)? I do not smoke/drugs, workout 3-4 days per week. I also had 5-6 accupuncture treatments to assist. Also, is morphology an important factor in fertility?
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Low Sperm Count Detailed Answer: Hi, Your semen report would not improve by much with a short duration of vitamin, anti oxidant treatment and healthier diet. It has happened over years and so needs more time to improve. The volume might vary little bit. It is not really important as long as you have more than 1 ml. You Sperm morphology is important for fertility. It is also in acceptable and not bad. But what is worrying is your sperm count of 5 million/ml. It is very low ( Oligospermia in medical terms). It has to be atleast more than 15 million /ml for conception. Try to get the semen test repeated from another good centre after one week to compare results especially count. Let me know if there are more doubts. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol IVF & Infertility Specialist