What causes compensated liver disease?

Hi, I have stage 4 non- alcoholic cirrhosis, i believe Since XXXXXXX 2011. I had been getting phlebotomy therapy for approximately 17-18 years for hemochromatosis and polycythemia Vera . I had one internal bleed late last year. I feel relatively healthy. I have some questions that may not be able to be answered, such as what to expect in the near future other than jaundice and possibly more bleeds. I am considering a second opinion. I am sorry, but I am new to this and did not see how much the fee is.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query I understand you are suffering from non alcoholic cirrhosis but to let you know about how good you are doing I need to know more about you, please get back to me with the following details 1. Do you have ascites? How many times have they done large volume ascetic removal? 2. Could you please enter you Total bilirubin, Direct bilirubin, Serum albumin, INR and platelet values? 3. Do you have swelling of both lower limbs? 4. Please mention your weight and height 5. What diet do you follow? 6. Please mention the medications you are on currently Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply I wish you good health Regards
Follow-up: What causes compensated liver disease? 1 hour later
1) No ascites as of yet. 2) I do not see lab work with bilirubin. AFP Tumor Marker is 3.70 Prothrombin/INR Prothrombin is 10.8 INR is o. Creat. Is 0.68 Ammonia is 25 CT Scan reveals: The liver demonstrates prominence of the caudate lobe and left lobe, indicates cirrohis. There is a recannulization of the umbilical vein with evidence of gastroesophageal varices and splenic varices, consistent with portal venous hypertension. The echogenic structures identified on ultrasound, which were considered likely to represent hemangioma. Chololithiasis is noted, with numerous small stones. The spleen is enlarged measuring 15 cm in cranial audial dimension. Impression: 1) Evidence of cirrohis with portal venous hypertension. 2) Gastroesophageal and splenic varices are noted, as well as recannulization of the umbilical vein. 3) Chololithiasis 4) Prominent left ovarian vein. CT Scan was done on 5/21/13. 3) Swelling in ankle and leg confined to only the right side. 4) Weight is 144 and height is 5' 2" 5) My doctor didn't suggest one when I asked. I recently went on-line and found a liver detox diet, which I started this week. 6) Synthroid, omeprazole, nadolol, Metformin & Januvia, calcium, vit. B, Milk Thistle, Vit D. I forgot mention earlier that I also have Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
Follow-up: What causes compensated liver disease? 5 minutes later
Just looked over what I sent to you. INR is 0.99
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Compensated liver disease Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply in detail Going through your records it looks like you are suffering from a compensated liver disease, the prognosis of a compensated liver disease is good. The few things you will have to expect from a liver disease like this are 1. Ascites 2. Recurrent infections as immunity is slightly compromised due to the liver disease 3. Easy bleeding tendencies so you will have to be careful not to get hurt 4. Bleeding in stools and blood stained vomiting 5. Avoid red meat in your diet, liver detox diet is good diet to follow. Also avoid food rich in fat. However I would like to add here in a well compensated liver disease like the one you are having right now there might not be any issues at all, it might be because the entire right lobe is normal and functioning well. If you have specific questions in mind please let me know,I will be happy to get back. Regards