What causes cold sores?

Feb 2013

My granddaughter who is only 6 years old gets often cold sores. What do you think? Worried grandmother
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: they heal spontaneously. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. The cold sores are caused by a virus known as Herpes Simplex. The cold sores will come and go frequently because of reactivation of the dormant virus which is located in nerves. But usually the cold sores heal spontaneously within 7 to 10 days. If they cause severe pain or embarrassment, they can be treated by local application of ointments. This causes decrease of pain and severity of skin lesions but there is no permanent cure to stop the appearance of cold sores. For pain and fever, you can give Tylenol in prescribed dose. Therefore I suggest you to consult the Pediatrician if there is severe pain associated wigh cold sores to prescribe an appropriate topical ointment. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.