What causes chronic allergic rhinitis and bad headaches after Fess sinus surgery?

Question
I have had Fess sinus surgery 2 weeks ago, and a recent scan has shown sinuses are still full of mucous and inflamed. My problem is chronic allergic rhinitis, the headaches are terrible still, and have booked into an allergist and immunologist. Do you think this is normal ,and do you think the allergist will be able to help me.
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, The Fess (Functional Endoscopic) sinus surgery is a way of treating chronic sinusitis, most probably induced by chronic allergic rhinitis. Although this procedure can give relief, sometimes it might not be a permanent cure to your problem. So, sometimes, recurrence of symptoms is well-known, and that can happened in your case too. Usually, patients are advised to have at least 3 follow-up visits with the surgeon who did the intervention within 6 weeks following the procedure. So, the very best thing to do is to keep in touch with the surgeon and allergist and immunologist for further assistance. All the best my dear! Dr.Bardha Feel free to ask me other questions you might have at the next follow up!

Follow-up: What causes chronic allergic rhinitis and bad headaches after Fess sinus surgery? 17 minutes later
So this can be normal, i am at my wits end, do you think i will be cured?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please keep following up with your doctor for cure Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, This is normal after surgery. After following up with your doctor, and after the normal inflammation after surgery would be resolved, you will see the improvements. You need to have patience and think positively. All the best my dear! Dr.Bardha

Follow-up: What causes chronic allergic rhinitis and bad headaches after Fess sinus surgery? 11 minutes later
also had a ct scan of brain which showed nothing except inflamed sinuses,which is good news, but just over the pain, currently just started on antiobotics which i hope will do the trick. I know i am getting worked up about this,but just want the pain to end.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: The headache will be to the end,need to be patient Detailed Answer: Hi again, It is great that Ct-scan of the brain showed nothing. So, rest sure that although you are having pain, inflammed sinus are not associated with any brain problems. It is also great that you have started antibiotics; I'd also suggest to continue taking anti-inflammatory drugs also and to keep your nose well-drained (nasal spray as directed). Inhaling steam (I usually prescribe chamomile tea) or aerosol - therapy (and/or aspiration) could be a solution to nasal drainings. All the best my dear! Please have patience! Dr.Bardha