What causes changed bowel movements?

General Surgeon
Hi, any ideas what would cause my bowel movements to change. I use to be regular, every morning would go within an hour after waking up and they would be solid. Now for the past few weeks they are thick and pasty. Have not changed much in my diet. I am lactose intolerant, have not had dairy. I eat plenty of vegetables, not a lot of meat. I am 57 years old. any ideas?
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Colon cancer needs to be ruled out. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Bowels movements patter change is very important symptom. Usually it appears due to diet change (I know you havent change it), stress, bacterial infection (due to some food poisoning or antibiotics course), thyroid issues or some medicines intake. As you havent mentioned any of these, I assume nothing like that have not occurred. Over the age of 50, the risk of colon cancer rises. That is why any gastrointestinal symptom, especially stool problems should be verified with colonoscopy. And this is what you should do at first. Please consult your doctor and get scheduled for colonoscopy. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.