What causes burning sensation in right side of head?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
what does it mean when you have a burning sensation right side of my head and at same time feel as if you are tasting blood in your mouth going down your throat? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Possible sinusitis or gum disease. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. These symptoms may be related to your sinuses. You may have an infection. This would possibly produce a burning sensation on one side of your face due to inflammation. Drainage of mucus containing blood from your sinuses down the back of your throat could give you the taste of blood. Other symptoms may be headaches and facial pain. Also, you may generally feel unwell. Treatment would be paracetamol and ibuprofen and drinking plenty of water. Antibiotics are not usually needed unless the problem persists for longer than 2 weeks. Another possibility for your symptoms may be gum disease. This may cause small amounts of bleeding particularly when you brush your teeth. Signs would be swollen or reddened gums, loose or rotting teeth. If this appears possible, I suggest you see your dentist promptly. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA