What causes burning pain around the stomach?

I have a burning sensation around my lower right rib going towards the centre. I am an overweight 63 year old lady
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: ?Acid problems Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this burning pain around the stomach. The description of this site corresponds to the epigastric region which sits over the stomach. The number one cause of burning pain in this region is gastritis. Gastritis is caused by acid in the stomach which come in contact with the walls of the stomach. In some cases, this acid can ascend into the esophagus and cause esophageal reflux disease. Initial treatment of this condition is done with omeprazole/ranitidine/antiacids. They generally offer immediate relief and take care of the condition.If symptoms should persist, then a consultation for examination and investigation is strongly recommended. In all, try omeprazole. If symptoms persist, seek consultation. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.