What causes blood in urine and trouble during urination?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
My 10 year old daughter is 137 lbs and almost 4 ft 10. She has had a lot of constipation is on no medicines and has complained two days ago about trouble urinating. It seemed to disipate. She has had numerous times threw the years of blood in the stool but I read it to be normal so we just accepted she was passing large stools. However, this morning she had a significant amount of blood that came from her urine and then a small amount on her panties. I thought she had began her menstural cycle and placed a pad in her undies but she has had no new bleeding since early this morning. Is that normal? I cannont remenber how light my period was when I was young as I am now 47. It is Saturday so going to the doctor a FUN thing but I am puzzled.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Advised to run further tests to evaluate her state Detailed Answer: Hi, The problem with constipation that your daughter has can be associated with blood in stool as she might have hemorrhoids that are aggravating each time she passes the motion (as they are hard and cause local injury). The blood in urine and troubling during urination could be related to possible: - urinary tract infection - kidney stones. I'd suggest to get a consultation with the urologist and to run further tests to evaluate her condition: - urine analysis and culture and sensitivity - fecal occult blood - culture of stool for candida - abdominal ultrasound. These tests would help us determine whether the bleeding was her first period or infection related. Meanwhile, I suggest to: - give her plenty of plain water to drink - give otc zinc/magnesium citrate and cranberry supplements - ask her to take probiotics and lactulose to soften the stool - advise her to eat foods high in fiber - ask her to be more physically involved in order to lose weight and avoid constipation. Hope it helped! Dr.Bardha Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!