What causes bleeding from belly button?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Hi Doctor, What could make your belly button bleed?! I'm 39 and I have never seen anything like this before. It's not a lot of blood, but it seems to just keep welling up and scabbing over. Is this potentially serious, or am I making a big deal of nothing? Regards XXXX
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probable skin infection. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. You are likely to have an inflammation or infection of the area. This would be the most common cause. The area is prone to becoming moist and sweaty which encourages infection to develop. Redness, swelling or pain may also occur if there is infection. I suggest you need to see your doctor for confirmation. The treatment would be antibacterial or anti-fungal creams or possibly tablets. Also, try to keep the area clean and dry. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA