What causes attention and learning problem in a child?

General Surgeon
my son 11 years old is in class 6 he was a patient of bronchitis since he was 6 month old.when he went to school he was good in in studies but writes very slow and get saturated after some time.I am also a teacher in his school but his teacher said that he is not studying.from that time I make him learn forcely. Now since last 4 -5 years the condition is very bad I beat him very badly.He cannot copy from board ,writing is worst and he never open his book and notebook himself even during the time of exams ,not paying attention in the class as I have seen him busy in other things ,face is blank and respond any thing.I teach him science I have to shout every time .He learn things but does't want to write ,very lethargic and over weight but very obedient as a son other work he do very TV continuously.Even he knows the answer he does not speak infront of teachers even he leave those questions which he prepares well. I complete his notes so that he may learn. for these I have been beating him very badly since last 4-5 years .doctor has given me PROPANOL 10 and SHINE 10. how can I control my mind so that I can handle my child .Is he a patient of ADHD
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: further evaluation by Child develpment clinic Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXXXXX Being a parent and Pediatric Surgeon, I do understand your concern and frustration over this matter. AS you are already aware that beating the child is not the solution and you must be doing it out of frustration. Children are delicate and every child is precious to their parents. It is important to understand the basic problem of the child and avoid missing some problem which has not been considered or picked up. I would like to have further additional information about your child 1. Is he able to do his normal routine work like brushing, tying shoe lace, attending to other basic day to day activity 2. Is there any problem with his eyesight? have you consulted Doctor before? 3. How is his handwriting and mathematics? 4. Does he speak normally? From the description given so far, possibility of Autism is be considered, but will require further evaluation. I would strongly recommend you to consult Pediatrician dealing with Child development, Child development Clinic will be helpful. It requires thorough assessment and examination of your child. Further management can only be arrived by careful assessment and counseling. Many of local medical colleges do Have Child Development Clinic and Pediatrician dealing with and managing such children. Do get back to me if you need any further help, will be glad to assist you. Do not worry things can be taken care, it requires lot of patience from your end and further assessment. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon