What causes arm and leg numbness when lying on one side?

When lying on my left side while sleeping, I've experienced numbness in my left arm and leg. This has progressed in frequency during the last couple of weeks. It hasn't happened during the day until today. No shortage of breath or rapid heart beat. I do not take medications. I am 5'8" and average between 175 and 180 lbs.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Expert's advice for investigations/ treatment Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query through XXXXXXX forum. To have numbness in both extremities on same side can be a point of concern for anybody. I appreciate your desire to know the cause of problem, so as to solve it. Basically, you seem to be a healthy man without any health problem found as yet. Being a middle aged person its best time for you to get yourself medically checked, from point of view of the numbness you have. First let me enlist possible causes for numbness in your case. They are- • May be as simple as being in same posture, causing pressure on the nerves of both extremities. • Vitamin B12 deficiency • Alcohol, tobacco indulgence. • Reaction to sea food • Abnormal calcium, potassium, sodium levels in body • Sometimes thickening of arteries (atherosclerosis), due to aging. • The conditions like Diabetes, Raynaud’s phenomenon, under active thyroid, multiple sclerosis may present with the symptoms. • Spinal problems, cervical spondylities with sciatica These are the few things which I feel should be evaluated. Please visit a physician for through physical examination, to be followed by relevant investigations, diagnosis & management of the symptom. I hope the answer was both informative & helpful to you. I would like to help you for any follow up query. Thanks.