What causes absence of yolk sac at 6th week of pregnancy?

I think I'm 6 weeks 3 days pregnant Based on the 1st day of my last period. I have been this morning for an early scan. They can see gestation sac measuring 16mm x 6mmx6mm. No yolk sac or anything else visable. The hospital don't think I'm that 6 and half weeks pregnant, they think in earlier. I'm going back for scanning two weeks. Is this worrying ? Should they not see yolk sac and fetus at this stage. The doctor said its normal as I'm very ear look y pregnant is this true ?? They also found two small cysts on ovary which said was normal
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer: get hcg levels and ultrasound after two weeks Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to healthcare Magic! It can happen sometimes when one is pregnant due to delayed ovulation which is a normal variant. You should get serum Beta hCG levels which should be high and a repeat level of the same after 48 hours which should be double the previous value, then you may be pretty sure the the pregnancy is normal. Get a repeat ultrasound scan after two weeks to get a review and assess the progress. Having small cysts in ovaries is without any adverse clinical impact. I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you. Take Care!
Follow-up: What causes absence of yolk sac at 6th week of pregnancy? 18 minutes later
Thanks, from the size of the sac how far pregnant do you think I am ? If I conceived on the 19th XXXXXXX is no yolk sac normal at this stage ? I have nausea and tender breasts
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 36 hours later
Brief Answer: intrauterine pregnancy repeat scan after 3weeks Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome back. You are pregnant under all likelihood but the duration is likely to be under 5weeks. The definite answer about wellbeing and normalcy can be obtained with an ultrasound scan three weeks later. The pregnancy is intrauterine so you do not have risk. I hope the advice will be helpful for you.
Follow-up: What causes absence of yolk sac at 6th week of pregnancy? 4 hours later
Thank you, last question, should the guestational sac not be round ? Mine is more long and thin. I have read that some people say its fine but others say should be round ??
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Gestational sac should be regular Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome back. Gestational sac should be regular in shape. In your case radiologist is measuring its size in all dimensions means it is regular. So nothing to be worried & wait for sometime. I hope for the best. Take care