What causes a feeling of lump in throat?

General Surgeon
For the past two days, I have been feeling a lump in my throat and have been feeling like I have to take more deep breaths/yawn than usual. I feel acid reflux in my throat, though not always with the acid taste. I also feel a little bit of an electric "buzz" in my heart, and my back/sides have been having muscle spasms. The lump in my throat is slightly painful, and only reduced a bit by drinking hot tea. The only unusual thing I've eaten these past two days is almond milk, but I have had it plenty of times in the past without this reaction, so I doubt that's the culprit. I have an appointment with my doctor for next week (the earliest I could get) but I'm concerned. Do these symptoms sound like cause for emergency? *I had my tonsils removed about 14 years ago.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: possibly Gastroesophageal reflux Detailed Answer: Hi The cause of feeling of lump in throat is possibly due to acid reflux due to Gastroesophageal reflux. There is no cause of concern. I will advise you the following that will definitely help. 1. Antacid like Pantoprozole along with Gastric motility promoting drug like Domperidone will be helpful 2. Consume small quantity of frequent meal 3 . Avoid spicy and oily food 4. Consume plenty of oral fluids. 5. Warm saline gargling: Add two spoons of salt in a glass of lukewarm water and gargle twice a day 6. Decoction: to a glass of milk add the following+ 10 Tulsi leaves (holy besal) + 1 spoon turmeric+ 2 gm ginger plus black pepper. Bring it to boil. Strain it using a strainer and consume it the way you drink freshly brewed coffee. Drink it thrice a day. I hope it helped In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon