What causes Persistent blackish discolouration of the eyes after accidental fall?

General Surgeon
I fell sept 17 while vacationing and did a face dive onto jagged cobblestone, i ended up in er, where stitched my forehead, also had abrasion under eye area and cheek was very sore where hit, everything has seemed to clear up now, scar on head not too bad, under eye was not stitched just taped does not look bad, what concerns me is that i am still puffy under the eye, and both eyes are still black and blue, i was also told cracked my nose and there was nothing they could do for that, is there anything else i should be doing, no headaches, vision ok, just still slight numbness upper cheek area where i hit the hardest besides my head
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Discolouration likely to pigment deposition Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXXXXX First and foremost I would like to reassure you that there is no cause for concern. I will now explain the likely cause for the persistent symptoms you are having. Persistent blackish discolouration of the eyes could be due to deposition of hemoglobin pigment( following hematoma of the eye, it undergoes liquifaction and deposition of hemosiderin). This Hemosiderin is the one which causes persistent discoloration. It should slowly get absorbed and the color should normalize soon. It may even take upto 6 months( exact duration can be assessed by having a look at extent of pigmentation). Slight numbness in upper cheek are could be temporary damage to infra-orbital nerve( it has sensory supply to small part of upper check, only small area). There should not be cause for concern as the nerve function will return back. I would suggest you the following which will definitely help 1. Avoid direct exposure to sunlight or use appropriate sunscreen( exposure to direct sunlight may increase the hyper-pigmentation and blackish discoloration of eye). 2. Wear Hat and apply sunscreen lotion 3. Drink plenty of water 4. Vitamin C supplement: 500mg per day for 3 weeks . it has helped many of my patients I hope it helped. In case you need any further assistance, kindly get back to me , will be glad to assist you Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon
Follow-up: What causes Persistent blackish discolouration of the eyes after accidental fall? 44 hours later
From what I am reading above, I am assuming that the puffiness under the eye will also decrease as the cheek numbness and discoloration around the eye's decrease is this a correct assumption? I do have a opthalmologist appointment comming up in February so I believe if there are any other concerns they will tell me.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your assumption is right Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Dear Ms XXXXXXX Your assumption is right. The swelling under the eye will reduce. There is no cause for concern. Avoiding direct exposure to sunlight, hot water fomentation to cheek, along with massage with moisturizing cream containing aloe vera and Vitamin E will be beneficial. Rest of your apprehension will be rested when you have your Ophthalmology appointment. In the meantime, if you need any assistance do get back to me. Regards Dr Deepak