What causes PVC or premature contractions?

Dear dr, I had skipped heartbeats pvcs pacs for 1year. They were more once I get out if bed. I felt them least when laying on bed or sitting down. Once I started to get around n start moving . They came back again . Y is that so? Is it because of poor blood circulation ? I can't seemed to trace the triggers . Very distressing
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: please see details Detailed Answer: Dear Sir PVC or premature contractions are common in general population. At a given day, if we monitor, approximately two-third of population will have them to variable extent. There are a number of triggers for them including stress, anxiety, exercise, tea, coffee, anti-asthma drugs, fever, thyroid disorders, common cold etc. Sometime people have unique triggers like dyspepsia etc. They themselves do not indicate that blood circulation is poor. First thing in their work-up is to identify that they are indeed PVCs or some thing else by identifying correct rhythm. It can be done by simple ECG or holter monitoring. Thereafter we get a cardiac ultrasound or ECHO done to look for any structural heart disease. In absence of electrical disorders on ECG and structural heart disease, they are considered benign. We normally treat them if patient is symptomatic for them. The treatment simply involve avoiding known triggers and one of the beta-blocking agents. Hope this provides some insight. Feel free to discuss further. Sincerely Sukhvinder
Follow-up: What causes PVC or premature contractions? 17 hours later
I felt that gas stuck in my chest n constantly have to burp . Sometime body movement can trigger them too. But laying n sitting were less felt . Can the gas in the stomach n esophagus irritate the nerve or heart?
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: please see details Detailed Answer: Dear Sir Yes, As I mentioned in my last answer that they can be precipitated by unusual stimuli like dyspepsia, upset stomach, flatulence etc. For establishing this association they should be frequently associated with dyspepsia. You can avoid them by avoiding dyspeptic conditions by eating light meals, avoiding water with meals and taking meals at proper time. I suggest you to talk to your physician and undergo the work up mentioned above. Hope the matter will be solved. Feel free to discuss further. Sincerely Sukhvinder