What causes Hypertension?

Hi Dr. My blood pressure has been historically good....120/78 or so.....last few days it's been 140/56 or 148/54 this morning. Should I be concerned, and what would cause this?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lifestyle Modification Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Welcome to XXXXXXX I am Dr Anshul Varshney . I have read your query in detail. I understand your concern. Blood pressure of 148/54 mmHg is on higher side , and according to new update by Joint National committee on Hypertension (JNC) , this blood pressure requires life style correction like : 1. Reducing salt and oil intake 2. Daily exercise 3. Weight Reduction if overweight 4. Quit alcohol and smoking. About the cause of increase in blood pressure , following are the possibilities: 1. Progressive Systemic Sclerosis 2. Renal Involvement in Systemic Sclerosis or Multiple Myeloma. 3. Age related Systemic Hypertension 4. Medications like Steroids. This is my best advice for you based on details available here. If you have any other query, you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD