What causes Enlarged lymph node in left groin area and terrible pain down right leg ?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi I have had a swollen lymph node in left groin area for a while now, also have terrible pain down right leg from knee down, was given antibiotics last year as showed hi d.dimer level and had scan for DVt which was clear. I have nerve damage in same leg,ankle but this pain is different...
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thank you for the query. Enlarged lymp node can be caused by an infection in close area like veins inflammation or by a cancer like lymphoma. Inflamnatory lymp node is usually painful and movable, has smooth surface. Cancerous lymp node is hard, painless, soyrface is usually rough. Sometimes what is thought to be a lymph node is a hernia. The best way to determine what exactly it is, an ultrasound should be done and biopsy should be done if necessary. The pain in the other leg seems to be caused by some spine problems. Veins thrombosis usually gives hard and painful calf. I suggest you to have groin ultrasound and physical examination of your leg. In case of spine problems, MRI should be done. If veins thrombosis is more possible, veins ultrasound should be done. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards

Follow-up: What causes Enlarged lymph node in left groin area and terrible pain down right leg ? 8 hours later
Thanks, have already had veins done twice in that leg already, the lymph node was big at one stage, but then got smaller and has stayed the same, no pain from it, can't really move it either.i guess I'll book back in to see the doctor again

Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: So the best you can do is an ultrasound of this lymph node and consider a biopsy or surgical removal for histopathology. Regards.