What can happen to someone who drinks approximately 120 cans beer in 3 days empty stomach?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
what can happen to someone who drinks approximately 120 cans of beer in 3 days on an empty stomach?
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 2 hours later
Hi ! I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

Beer is an alcoholic beverage and consumption of it in large quantities in a very short while can cause some side effects and complications.

As there is sudden load of alcohol absorbed in the blood, the liver works more to detoxify it and this produces strain on the already diseased liver of a known heavy drinker. The liver may start showing features of its failure to cope with the situation like jaundice, vomiting, and in already a known case of liver dysfunction, it may precipitate a hepatic encepalopathy.

Alcohol is also an irritant to the gastric mucosa, and such a fast consumption can give rise to severe gastric irritation and even perforation, too leading to all kinds of complications.

In empty stomach, the alcoholic drink gets absorbed very fast, and so can give rise to acute intoxication features like delerium, violent behaviour, and deep somnalence.

Because of the high LDL and high blood pressure, already compromised cardiovascular system may lead to precipitation of latent cardiac disorders and acute rise in the blood pressure.

Due to such intoxication, the person may also land into severe malnutrition and dehydration which may need immediate hospitalisation.

These are just a few acute harmful instances of the problem out of a lot many others.

I am not aware for whom this question is asked. Whoever it is, please take serious efforts to counsel the person and I would suggest you to involve the help of a Psychiatrist/de addiction specialist in his treatment.

If you have any question on any specific problem, please feel free to ask.Wishing you good luck.

Follow-up: What can happen to someone who drinks approximately 120 cans beer in 3 days empty stomach? 58 minutes later
this is in regards to my husband . he is typically a heavy drinker, but due to a death in the family recently, he has not eaten and is consuming larger amounts of beer. thank you so much for your answer, it helps me to know what to look for and how to recognize different symptoms, he refuses any medical de addiction help or intervention.
again, thank you

Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 19 minutes later
Hi ! Thank you for your fast response.

It is nice to know of your great concern for your husband's health. However resistant he may be, please do not miss any chance to counsel him to leave consuming alcohol whenever it is possible. Sometimes miracles happen, and he may listen to your suggestions willingly.

In case you do not have other questions, you can close the discussion with rating the answer. Wishing both of you good luck.

Follow-up: What can happen to someone who drinks approximately 120 cans beer in 3 days empty stomach? 26 minutes later
I have tried for 30 years to seek help with his drinking problem and he always refuses, I still try though.. I am asking questions as I do not want any surprises and I fear my husbands time on this earth is short. I prefer to be prepared. thank you for being direct with your answers, I truly appreciate it~

Ok. Thanks and good luck.