What can cause the urinary infections with tight and reddened foreskin in a child?

hello, my 3.5 year old son keeps getting urinary infections. his foreskin is very tight and reddened, can that be a cause, would it be advisable to remove the foreskin? thank you.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh, 15 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

It seems that you may need to consult a surgeon regarding this issue. From the description you have given, it is possible that the tight foreskin is causing the complications.

Usually the foreskin should not obstruct urine flow and the urine should flow out in a single stream. But with a tight foreskin (a condition called as Phimosis), the urine stream gets bifurcated. This can be a sign that the foreskin may create trouble.

Also, depending upon the degree of Phimosis, there may be a proportional obstruction to urine flow. And the area can get infected. This infection can spread upwards as well.

It appears rational to consult a surgeon about this problem. In addition to the current problems, there may be some future complications, too. Looking at the situation, it does seem appropriate to consider circumcision, of course, with the advice of the doctor.

Hope this helps your query. Please let me know if you need more information. I will be glad to help.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD