What can cause minimal spotting during pregnancy?

Mar 2013
Hello: I am pregnant thanks to ivf. last week, I spotted so my RE had me go to the clinic. He did say my cervix was closed which was a good sign. My concern is that although he was able to see the gestational sac there was no HB at 6w3d. The CRL (hadlock) measured at that time 0.38 cm. I've had some minimal spotting since. I wouldn't even call it spotting it's so little. Is there real hope that I will see a hb in my next appointment?
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: YES, DEFINITE CHANCE OF CARDIAC ACTIVITY APPEARING Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Congratulations on a very precious pregnancy indeed. Typically the cardiac activity should appear at 6 weeks plus on a transvaginal sonogram. Was the ultrasound done transvaginally ? That is quite important, as abdominal scans are not as accurate as vaginal ones, and might visualize the details on a later time frame. Generally, a failed pregnancy or embryonic demise is defined as the absence of cardiac activity when the embryo measures more than 5 mm on transvaginal scans. In your case, the CRL is 0.38 cm or 3.8 mm. I think there is a definite chance of a heart beat appearing in some days, because 1. There is hardly any spotting 2. The cervix is closed on examination 3. You do not complain of cramps, pain or feeling of pressure in the pelvic area. 4. The gestational sac and the embryo appear regular, there is no evidence of any internal bleed anywhere. I would be optimistic and say that a review scan after a week should definitely show evidence of fetal cardiac activity. Meanwhile, take lots of rest. Avoid any kind of stress ( that includes worrying and negative thinking ). Avoid intercourse, jerky travelling . Take all medications as prescribed ( I hope proper pregnancy supportives have been prescribed given that this is an IVF pregnancy ). Have a review transvaginal scan after a week. I wish you loads of luck. Many prayers. Take care.
Follow-up: What can cause minimal spotting during pregnancy? 10 minutes later
Thanks so much for your reply. The ultrasound was done transvaginally. I'm just praying my baby's hb is there next week when I go back. And yes, I am on progesterone and Minivelle. thanks,
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Just take care, and get over one more week. Then you would know for sure. In the absence of any ominous signs, there is all the reason in the world to hope for a heartbeat next time around in the scan. Take care.