What can be the small purple spot show up on the tip of penis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I had a small purple spot show up on the tip of my penis today it is not raised or anything. I worry it may be an std but due to it being purple and flat it leads me to believe it isn't.
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly upload pictures Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posing your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for the small purple spot at penis tip. The part of history is though helpful but not conclusive enough to guide you to best diagnosis or possibility. I request you to provide some details like: - Since how long long this purple spot is present. - Any pain, itching or irritation over the the spot. - History of both unprotected and protected intercourse recently. The best of the part would be to send few good resolution pictures of the area so that it can be analyzed best. You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia) Waiting for your reply so that I can guide you further. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases)

Follow-up: What can be the small purple spot show up on the tip of penis? 4 minutes later
I just noticed the spot today i had unprotected intercourse on saturday and three weeks prior to that as well. I also have had a 99.6 fever since sunday which also made me think possible std but my grain lymph nodes did not seem swollen, could just be coincidence. There is no pain when touched and not any more itching then normal.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Fixed drug eruption Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to the forum again and thanks for uploading the good resolution pictures. After thoroughly analyzing the picture and getting through your history I can make out that you have "Fixed drug eruption" also known as FDE. To tell you medically about FDE- it is due to reaction to any drug such as pain killer or antibiotics and many a time seen after fever also. There is formation of purplish macule or spot any where on body but are most common at genital site. I can get the history that you have fever form last 2 days. So if you have taken any drug for fever then it is the most likely cause for the same. Tel me if you have taken any oral drug in last 72 hours or previous to that. I suggest you to stop all the type of medication at once. This may get aggrevated by simple drugs also. Do not worry about any type of Sexually transmitted disease or infection as it is not at all related to the same. The spot will remain for a longer time and accordingly you don't get panicky about any other serious possibility. I hope these information will be helpful. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help to help. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases)

Follow-up: What can be the small purple spot show up on the tip of penis? 33 minutes later
Thank you. I have not taken any drug that i can think of recently.. I just wanted to make sure this was not the beginning of hsv2 or herpes. Or any other serious std. You are sure this is not the case? .

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Sexually transmitted disease or infection Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome again. The present sate of the patch is not at all any type of Sexually transmitted disease or infection. At the maximum we can designate it as simple bruise also if you have not consumed any drug. There is no any Sexually transmitted disease or infection which manifest in this manner. So be relaxed for the possibility of any Sexually transmitted disease or infection. Further I request you to not to touch, pinch or scratch the area as it can lead to sensitivity in this area and then modification of the patch. So let it be what is is!!! It may take longer time to resolve so do not worry. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help or if not then can close the query and give ratings to the answer. Relax and enjoy the day!! Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases)