What can be the reason for changes in the childhood mole suddenly ?

Hi a few days ago I noticed a change to my mole that I've had since I was little it's grown kind of a thing that looks a little like a sml skin tag..the mole is on my waist and does get rubbed alot by my trousers waist line..I'm terrified incase it's skin cancer..Debbie x
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Let me provide you with some information and some reassurance. When we refer to moles we think of what is referred to as the ABCDs.

A - asymmetry. Is the mole asymmetric at all or has the symmetry changed in the previous months or years.

B - borders. Are the borders irregular or jagged.

C - color - is the color irregular at all or has it changed recently.

D - diameter - has the diameter changed over a period of time.

E - Elevation - is there a change in depth of the mole itself.

I know you indicated that there appears to be a stalk or skin tag appearance - often times this is a marker of a benign process. I would encourage you to have it removed and a pathologist can do a routine examination to confirm that it is truly benign.

I hope I have provided adequate information for you here. I am available for your followups.