What can be the cause of high levels of SGPT, SGOT and GGTP?

hello today i went for the routine health check(includes blood test), my
SGOT (AST) is 50.70
SGPT (AST) is 74.90
GGTP id 55.70, kindly let me know that what can be the cause
i do not drink alcohol at all and never drink it , i do not smoke at all, once i had jondus, one of the doctor recomonded me hepatatis b , c , hbs ag, anti hcv antobody test,
can it be hiv?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 52 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query
Rise of liver enzymes generally denote some liver inflammation however many normal individuals can have slightly elevated liver enzymes.
Since you had a history of jaundice and don't take alcohol,it becomes important that you are investigated for the cause of high enzymes.
Common causes besides hepatitis and alcohol are
Use of herbal medicines,pain killers,antidepressants,antibiotics
Tumors of liver and bile ducts etc
You should be investigated for
Hepatitis markers
Ultrasound abdomen
and if required then
CT,MRI or liver biopsy.
HIV may cause rise of liver enzymes
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck
Follow-up: What can be the cause of high levels of SGPT, SGOT and GGTP? 14 minutes later
can you tell me what are the most commonly cause in my case as i told you the exact figure, what what can be the treatment?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 18 minutes later
Most likely cause in you may be some hepatitis as you had jaundice,obesity,consumption of more calories in form of high sweets intake or excessive fatty foods and lack of exercise.
Treatment will depend upon the cause and can be told only after the result of your investigation reports.
Follow-up: What can be the cause of high levels of SGPT, SGOT and GGTP? 9 hours later
I had jaundice 5-6 years back still it can effect it? And as i hav told yoh about my reports of sgpt and sgot , is it very high.....
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 22 minutes later
There are few types of hepatitis which can run a chronic course lasting even lifetime.
Your liver enzymes are not very high but still they should be investigated.