What can be done to relieve back pain? Have osteopenia, degenerative osteophytic lipping, facetal sclerosis, taking Cerebrix

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Besides exercising to threnghthen my back muscles - what can be done to relieve the lower back pain experienced due to -
Osteopenia L1 - L 4
Degenerative osteophytic lipping
Bilateral L5/S1 and L4/5 degenerative facetal sclerosis

Currently using Cerebrix 1 X daily

I am 68 years old

THank you
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later

You are suffering from degenerative disc disease. The tablet Celebrix that you are currently on is a pain killer and helps with your pain.

The main treatment of such pain is bed rest and lifestyle modifications.

For better and longer relief, you can add a good muscle relaxant like Thiocolchicoside to the pain killer that you are currently taking, after consulting with your orthopaedician. If you are able to do your daily work with the help of pain killers and muscle relaxants then you can start with back strengthening exercises under the guidance of an expert physiotherapist.

- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.