What can I do to alleviate pain and discomfort of my bruised lower back?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, my lower back feels bruised and hurts every time i stand from sitting and sometimes while im sitting. What can I do to alleviate this pain and discomfort?
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Following measures will help with the pain Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description , it seems you might developed muscular or ligamentous strain over lower back . Following measures will help with the pain • Lie on a hard bed. • Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required • Avoid forward bending. • Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights. • Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What can I do to alleviate pain and discomfort of my bruised lower back? 20 minutes later
Thank you. At what point should I worry if it has not gone? I am a preschool teacher and spend alot of time bending and sitting on little chairs or the floor. Is there any activity I should avoid?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: If this persist even after 3 weeks Detailed Answer: Hello mam, If this persist even after 3 weeks, then you need to consult an orthopaedician for detailed examination. You should avoid forward bending to lift up things, if it requires you first sit on your knees and then lift up the things. You need to correct your sitting posture. Sit straight and avoid sitting for long times. Take a break in between. Hope this discussion was helpful. If you have no further query, please close the discussion. I will appreciate you reviews about this service. Wishing you speedy recovery. Take care.