What can I do if I have developed a swollen lump in my breast with yellow pus after a day of delivery?

1 day after having baby got lump in breast, baby is 4 months and 100% breastfeeding. lump is swollen with pockets of yellow pus. Is it harmful to my milk. Doctor put me on antibiotics
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 45 minutes later
Hello Kernita,

This breast lump which formed immediately after the birth of your baby and is now draining pus is a breast abscess. If your abscess is draining pus then it means it is having bacterial infection and these bacteria can enter the milk ducts and can multiply rapidly in the breast milk. However this is not a reason to stop breast feeding because antibodies in the milk protect him from infection.

Apart from a course of antibiotics, you may need a needle aspiration or an incision and drainage to drain out the pus and then followed by a course of antibiotics. I suggest you an immediate surgeon’s evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.