What cacuses post-nasal drip?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I've been having trouble with excess saliva (not thick or anything), but I've noticed an increase in the amount over the past several days (i.e. If I don't swallow constantly, I might drool!) What's going on? I'm having some post-nasal drip too, but otherwise, I don't feel overly sick.
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: If no problem with swallowing,nothing serious... Detailed Answer: Hi, The post-nasal drip you have experienced might be related to a recent viral infection or common cold. You might not clearing effectively the mucus, finishing to keep trying to clear your throat or the mucus might be thick. Such situations are also related to increase in the amount of saliva you have experienced over the past several days. If you have had any dental treatment recently or/and working with dentures, that can be another probable cause too. This is nothing serious. Take one more pillow to sleep at night and to: - keep good hygiene of nose (flushing with saline spray) - keep the air well-moisturized If the excess of saliva won't improve in one month time, or you if you face difficulty in swallowing, should consult an ENT specialist for further evaluation. Otherwise, nothing serious. All the best! Dr.Bardha
Follow-up: What cacuses post-nasal drip? 5 hours later
Thank you - that makes me feel better. I have no difficulty swallowing at all (and, no dental work). But, I have to swallow a lot more, and there is just a lot more saliva... I'm not congested at all - the mucus is just going down the back of my throat. Other than flushing the sinuses, is there anything else I can do? Do I need antibiotics, or just wait for it to clear?
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 10 hours later
Brief Answer: For the time being, no need for antibiotic... Detailed Answer: Hi, To decide whether you need antibiotics, a further physical examination of your ENT and chest X-ray is needed. To my opinion, just follow the earlier advice and if no improvement within a week should consult ENT specialist. Although you have not had any dental work, you might have any infected or damaged tooth that need to be checked by a dentist. Keep good hygiene of your throat and mouth (oral spray are advised). Eat often and small portions, do not lay down immediately after eating. Avoid citrus, spicy, chillies foods and carbonated/caffeine/energetic drinks. Avoid also keeping chewing gums in your mouth for long time. All the best! Dr.Bardha If you are satisfied with my answer, kindly close this thread and give your feedback by rating it. Thank you!