What birth control pill is recommended for a woman with high blood pressure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
what birth control pill is recommended for a woman with high blood pressure?
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: PROGESTERONE ONLY PILLS, IUD OR DEPO SHOT. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Alongwith hypertension, I see in your history that you have a coronary stent in place. Given these two risk factors, combined contraceptive pills are ruled out for you. THe estrogen containing pills would aggravate these two factors and put you at higher risk for stroke and thrombosis. The option for you is to consider using progesterone only pills. Another option is to consider non hormonal intra uterine device such as Paragard. Also, the Mirena IUD is again progesterone based IUD. The Depo Provera shot also is an option for you. Of course, all hormonal medications have some degree of side effects, if you are comfortable with condoms, that is the best and safest bet. Vaginal rings, birth control patches and oral contraceptive pills are all fraught with risks. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: What birth control pill is recommended for a woman with high blood pressure? 12 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. If I choose to use a birth control pill containing progesterone, what is the name and dosage. My weight is 150lbs., 5'9"

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Thank you for the appreciation. I would prescribe a pill like Micronor. They are standard dosage pills. It is a pack of 28 active pills, meaning, that the pills have to be taken continuously, without a pill free week or placebo pills. Please consult your gynaecologist, and get the prescription, because a complete history, physical exam , gynecological checkup and relevant blood work should precede the decision to start these pills, particularly, given the high risk factors that you have. All the best. take care.

Follow-up: What birth control pill is recommended for a woman with high blood pressure? 3 minutes later
Again, thank you. What do you think of Northindrone / Ortho-Novum 7/7/7 (28) oral?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi That is not a progesterone only pill. It is a combined contraceptive pill, because it contains estrogen as well, in addition to progesterone.