What are the underlying causes for uncontrollable sweating with shivering and cold?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
My hudband is a 73 yr old white male. He went to Peru early this year. Since his return he has had about 5 bouts of uncontrolable sweating with shivering with cold and then burning up with heat. He took all the necessary shots prior to the trip. Our local doctor says his blood work os fine but he continues to have this problem. He alsomhas joint pains and some muscle cramps. Thank you
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly send in the requested medical data! Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your medical history and understood your concerns. It is great that your husband's blood profile is ok; that means that there is nothing serious you should be worried about. Before running to conclusions, I'd like to have more of the medical data of your husband: - is he taking or stopped taking any medication recently? - is he having any skin rash or other problem when having the shivering attack? - is he a diabetic or taking any medication for diabetes? - have you checked for his thyroid function? - has he passed any infectious disease recently or being ill during his stay in Peru? Meanwhile, I could say that the sweating and shivering with cold and high fever could be also related to flu or common cold. Looking forward to have the requested medical data gently replied. Dr.Bardha
Follow-up: What are the underlying causes for uncontrollable sweating with shivering and cold? 48 minutes later
Thank you Dr Brahda for your dilegence and careful questions. he has not had an infection nor was he sick while in Peru. He did not have his thyroid checked, this could be a good idea. yes, he gets a rash accross his chest when he has the attacks. Last month he started taking DEtrol la 4 mg once a day and Naproxen 500 mg once a day and is currently on that. He stopped taking Tamsulosin .04 mg when these medications were prescribed. LAst night he took viagra but the hot and cold had already started.
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the answer below... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for sending in more of your husband's medical data. Taking detrol will help your husband get over the bladder problems. I'd suggest again to test the thyroid hormones and level of sugar and blood pressure at the time he is having the attack. If everything ok, then, most probably it is related to common cold or flu which is normal for his age. Looking forward to have the results of the requested tests! All the best! Dr.Bardha