What are the symptoms of a failed Nissen fundoplication?

What are the symptoms of a failed nissen fundo?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 57 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
I will try to explain to best of my knowledge.
Nissen fundoplication has become the most popular of the antireflux procedures in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease. Recent series show a long-term success rate of over 90% with this procedure. This is superior to any currently available medical treatment option.

Failure of Nissen fundoplication occurs when the patient, after the repair, experiences persistent or recurrent reflux symptoms, is unable to swallow normally, or suffers from upper abdominal discomfort or other gastrointestinal symptoms. The assessment of these symptoms and the selection of patients who need further surgery remains a challenging problem.

Recurrence or persistence of reflux symptoms (i.e., heartburn and regurgitation) and postoperative persistent dysphagia are the most common indicators for failure of Nissen fundoplication. Recurrent or persistent reflux symptoms and/or dysphagia occur in about 8% of patients after Nissen fundoplication. In a series of 50 patients who required reoperation after a failed Nissen fundoplication, heartburn and regurgitation were the most common presenting symptoms.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.