What are the sign and symptoms of herpetic sycosis?

Nov 2013

I think I may have herpetic sycosis - How would that present? signs? symptoms?
I started with a XXXXXXX ache on the side of my face up to the crown; also tenderness in the back of my neck; an itchy scalp; then, it felt bruised and tender. The next thing I knew I had a serious of sore raised rashes. It is now spread from my scalp to my forhead and my left eye. There is pain around the eye and swelling. My lymphatic gland at the base of my ear is swollen and tender as well.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

The description of your lesions most likely seems to suggest a diagnosis of Herpes Zoster of the left face, precisely affecting the left Trigeminal nerve- ophthalmic division, also referred to as V1 distribution.

In this condition, pain is followed by vesicular eruptions over the V1 distribution, which extends from the top of head, forehead, upto the eye. Slowly, the vesicles subside, and may discharge clear liquid. Sometimes, they get secondary infection with bacteria, when pus may get discharged. After a week to 10 days, the lesions completely resolve, leaving scars.
In some people, pain may be felt in the same area for a few weeks to months, called as post-heretic neuralgia (PHN).

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM