What are the side effects of taking ipill and modafinil together?

what are the effects of taking ipill and modafinil together?
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 30 minutes later

Modafinil is known to reduce the effect of any birth control pills even emergency contraceptive pill such as I-pill. The chances of failure of the contraceptive medication are high when taken with Modafinil on.

Modafinil activates certain enzymes in the liver which are involved in the metabolism of the synthetic hormones present in the Contraceptive pills. Hence, the contraceptive medications may get metabolized way before they exert their action in preventing pregnancy - leading to a failure.

Apart from modafinil and I-pill interaction, I would also want to inform you that more than one I-pill a month is not considered healthy. It can cause hormonal disarray resulting in future complications. If you have use emergency contraception more than twice a month, I suggest you to switch to regular oral contraceptive pill.

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.