What are the side effects of meprate?

General Surgeon
Hi Doctor. My lmp was on 19May 2013. I went to doctor n she suggest me to use folic acid.I wen through all tests: Blood Sugar, abdominal Scan, Thyroid Test. All my reports are normal.. Doctor asked me to reduce my weight. I have reduced Carbohydrate intake though i dont get time to gym as my working hours are odd. My weight is increased by 5 kgs over this period. We are also planning for family. I am.32 year old. Last month I again visited my doctor n she asked me to use suport tablets..She asked me to meet her after 3months. I changed my doctor now and now she asked me to use meprate along with folic acid. I went through few articles online n found that meprate can be harmful. Kindly suggest if it is take this tablet if we are planning for a family. Thanks
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Meprate is not safe in first trimester Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Only drug which is to be used and considered safe in first trimester of pregnancy or those planning for pregnancy is folic acid. No other drug is recommended unless it's very essential for the mother. Meprate is a synthetic progesterone and causes genital abnormalities in both male and female babies. I am a Pediatric Surgeon and have encountered couple of cases In new borns whose mother's were exposed to synthetic progesterone in first trimester. Synthetic progestogens are usually not advisable for administration during pregnancy. Hence, even while a woman is on synthetic progestogen for treatment of any condition, and if pregnancy is detected, the progestogen must be withdrawn at the discretion of the physician. This is because of the finding of potential harm to the foetus when given during the first 4 months of pregnancy. I would suggest you to discuss the indication and rationale for taking Meprate. Just Folic acid and daily walking is all that is advisable. I hope it helped Take care Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX Consultant Pediatric Surgeon