What are the side effects of Penidure LA 12?

Excellent

Question
I CONSULTED WITH TWO DOCTORS, BUT ONE DOCTOR COULD MATCH YOUR ADVICE FOR PENIDURE SCHEDULE OF 5 YEARS BUT COULD NOT PRESCRIBE. KINDLY ADVICE ME WHAT IS THE DURATION OF PENIDURE INJECTION 12 LA, I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVISE AS FINAL. I AM PUT-UP IN A REMOTE LOCATION AND GOOD DOCTORS ARE NOT THERE. IS THERE ANY SIDE EFFECT TAKING PENIDURE INJECTION FOR YEARS AND IT IS SAFE?
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Side effects are there. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. Penidure LA 12 contains Benzathine Penicillin 12 lac unit. Duration of Penidure injection depends upon the type of disease. It is usually given for long term in case of rheumatic fever. You have mentioned only skin itching and palpitation with normal echo. I would like to know the details of your condition for which you are suggested to take penidure? There are adverse effect of using Penidure for longer duration, but most of them soon after taking injection after negative sensitivity test like: urticaria; rashes; angioedema; serum sickness-like reactions; haemolytic anaemia; CNS toxicity including convulsions; diarrhoea; antibiotic-associated colitis; Superinfection with candida (fungus). For prophylaxis of Rheumatic fever patients have taken penidure for over 30 years without any significant adverse effect. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: What are the side effects of Penidure LA 12? 42 minutes later
I AM SUFFERING FROM JOINT PAINTS SINCE 7 YEARS AND GONE THROUGH AN ORTHROSCOPY FOR MY RIGHT KNEE. BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT KNEES ARE PAINING AND BOTH THE HANDS HAVE TENNIS ELBOW. AFTER MEDICAL TEST, IT WAS FOUND I HAVE A HIGH ASO OF 704 SINCE I AM ADVISED TO TAKE PENIDURE FOR 6 MONTHS AND I COMPLETED THE COURSE. BUT ANOTHER DOCTOR SUGGESTED TO TAKE PENIDURE FOR 5 YEARS SINCE THEN I GOT CONSFUSED. MY MEDICAL TEST REPORTS ARE ATTACHED. I NEED YOUR ADVISE, WHETHER TO CONTINUE PENIDURE FOR 5 YEARS. THEREFORE I NEED YOUR ADVISE SO THAT I CAN FOLLOW.

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue it. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for the follow up. I am sorry to say that no reports are attached with your query. If you are having problem uploading the reports, please contact XXXXXXX Since you have history of rheumatic fever, your doctor has suggested you secondary prophylaxis for 5 years. As you mentioned that your echo is normal, it means you don't have carditis. I advise you to continue Penidure for 5 Years by intramuscular injection at every 4 weeks. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.

Follow-up: What are the side effects of Penidure LA 12? 2 days later
HI I HAVE ATTACHED REPORTS. WHAT HAPPENS IF I DO NOT TAKE PENIDURE AND LEVE ASO UN MONITORED. ARE THERE A SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS OF PENIDURE? KINDY RESPOND.

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: No serious side effects Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow up and reports. Based upon your medical reports, it is confirmed that your heart is normal at present but it is in high risk category, problem in joints and very high ASO titre. Past Rheumatic fever is confirmed. There is high risk that Rheumatic fever recur and may lead to Carditis(heart problem). This is why Penidure for five years is given as prophylaxis (for preventing any chance of recurrence). If you do not take penidure, recurrence may occur and next time it will be more serious. It is advised to take it monthly to be on safe side. There are no serious side effects of penidure taken every 4 weeks. If adverse effects, mentioned in previous post, appear then dicontinue penidure and consult your local doctor. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.