What are the risks if 3 years old takes one mg of Xanex?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
In general, what would happen if a three year old took a one mg tablet of Xanex and a parent did not see it? I understand a certain percentage of children may be extremely reactive to the drug, but in the vast maority of children what would be your best guess of what would happen. Of course, if we saw it we would immediately take her to the hospital or call a poison control center.
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 53 minutes later
In general for Xanax (alprazolam), the maximum dose in adults is 6 mg per day. The dosing in children less than 18 is under clinical trials still with numerous data. Currently, the XXXXXXX doses used are 0.02 mg/kg/dose or 0.06 mg/kg/day. Considering your child weighs around 15 kg ( approx) the tolerated XXXXXXX dose would be 0.9 mg , so ingestion of one tablet of 1 mg Xanax may or may not cause evident symptoms .
Most likely that the child might have some Central nervous system depression symptoms like drowsiness , imbalance , decreased Bp , respiration , hypothermia etc.
Overdoses of alprazolam in general can be mild to severe depending on how much of the drug is taken and any other drugs that have been taken.
Alprazolam overdoses cause excess central nervous system (CNS) depression and may include one or more of the following symptoms:
Somnolence (sleepy state)
Hypotension (low blood pressure)
Hypoventilation (shallow breathing)
Impaired motor functions
Impaired balance
Muscle weakness
Impaired or absent reflexes
Death (very rare).

So please do take the child to a doctor to prevent any complications in case of any accidental poisoning with alprazolam ( Xanax ) even if the child appears normal .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.