What are the reasons for having earaches?

ENT Specialist
Question
ears what causes my earaches
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. I am assuming that you are referring ear ache without signs of infection such as fever, swelling or ear discharge.

2. How old are you? How long has this earache been bothering you? Do both ears ache? Is the earache continuous or intermittent? Is your hearing normal? Does pulling your ear lobes increase the pain? Does water get in during a swim or during a bath? XXXXXXX you use any ear oil or drops? Do you hear any extra noise or sounds?

2. I would rule out the following causes and investigate as follows.:
a. Impacted Ear wax. This is common. Get your eardrums examined.
b. Myringitis (ear drum swelling) and Otitis Externa (Swimmer's Ear). This will usually follow trying to clean your ears yourself. Do your ears itch?
c. Fluid or pressure changes in the middle ear. Get an Impedance Audiometry (Tympanogram done).
d. Mastoiditis: chronic infection in the mastoid bone. Get your ears examined to rule out eardrum perforations. Get Mastoid X-rays done.
e. Referred pain to the ear due to irritation to nerves such as the Trigeminal, Glossopharyngeal and Vagus Nerves. The same nerves which supply sensation to the ear also supply the oral cavity, tongue, teeth, nose, sinus, throat, temporomandibular joint, parotid gland, heart and stomach.
e. Acid Reflux.

3. Have you had a trial with medication?

4. Kindly let me know the results of your investigations and your response to any medication. This will help decide further treatment.

I must emphasize that there may be multiple factors causing earaches.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: What are the reasons for having earaches? 12 hours later
no medication I'm a female age 20 this has been goin on bout a week I have discharge and constant pain and trouble sleeping

Thank you for writing back.

1. Your ear ache is due to an ear infection.

2. Is your ear discharge colorless or purulent. If it is muco-purulent, the discharge usually arises from the middle ear.

3. You need to get an ENT Specialist to examine your ears. The ear discharge can be sampled for culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

4. Since the pain is so severe and continuous that it interferes with your sleep, you should seek immediate medical attention.

5. You may require ear cleaning, antibiotics, medicated ear drops (sometimes antifungal), pain killers, anti-allergics, decongestants, mucolytics and steam inhalation. This should be done under medical supervision.

6. You can expect prompt relief with medication.

Regards.

Follow-up: What are the reasons for having earaches? 8 hours later
what's a ent will it hurt

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. An ENT Specialist is an Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor.

2. It will not hurt during examintion. It will be like a visit to a Dentist.

If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: What are the reasons for having earaches? 14 hours later
my ears hurt when I lay down they drain and I have sharp throbbing pain what is a ENT what Will they do should I be scared and does it hurt

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. You have an ear infection (Otitis). That is why your ears hurt with throbbing pain and the ears drain when you lie down.

2. An ENT Specialist is an Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor.

3. It will not hurt during examintion. It will be like a visit to a Dentist.

4. You can expect prompt relief with medication.

Regards.