Ask a Urologist   »  

What are the possible causes of blood in urine?

What are the possible causes of blood in your urine ?
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Causes could be due to sepsis, tumor, stones, etc

Detailed Answer:
I wish you has asked a more specific question as there are many causes for bleeding from the urinary tract.
At age of 78 years with a raised PSA level, I would be concerned the bleed as it could be from infection or enlargement of prostate, benign or otherwise.
The commoner cause of bleeding are however simple infection of bladder but as even any malignancy of kidneys or bladder or ureter or urethra also could cause a similar picture, I would suggest you get at least an ultrasound examination of your abdomen at the earliest along with a urine analysis and blood tests for kidney function. This should be accompanied by a urologist consultation who would want to do a very careful digital rectal examination.
The commoner causes of bleeding in younger persons would be kidney stones but that should be picked up on the ultrasound.
there are other causes such as bleeding disorders or usage of anti-coagulation medicines but it looks like they are not relevant here.
Hope I have been able to help you.