What are the possible causes for back pain, heaviness in head and ear pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
get back pains on and off this week really bad back pains radiating to legs also woke up dizzy one time feel a heaviness in my head and ear pain what can be causing this plus body aches
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: I will advise you to do MRI spine Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Due to compression of this nerve root there is tingling numbness in your leg and pain associated with it. I will advise you to do MRI spine For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Sometime nerve compression in neck can lead to pain and headache and dizziness so MRI whole spine screening will be better. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: What are the possible causes for back pain, heaviness in head and ear pain? 5 minutes later
MRI OF C AND T SPINE NORMAL THIS WAS ABOUT 9 MONTHS AGO ALSO L SPINE MRI SHOWED MILD DEGENERATIVE CHANGES DISC BULGE WITH MILD MASS EFFECT UPON THECAL SAC AND BILATERAL FORAMINAL NARROWING ALSO L4-L5 BILATERAL DISC PROTRUSIONS AND ANNULAR TEAR LEFT ASPECT OF DISC DR EXPLAINED BUT DONT REALLY UNDERSTAND

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Your MRI says disc bulge L4 L5 Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Your MRI says disc bulge L4 L5 with annular tears leads to compression of nerve root which. Due to compression of this nerve root there is pain in your back and leg. You can do all sorts of conservative therapy like physiotherapy,epidural steroid shots and if you are not getting expected result. Then you can go for minimal invasive spine surgery and decompression of annular tear and disc bulge. Later on follow post surgery rehabilitation and physiotherapy. Check status of your frontal sinus and ear from ENT surgeon. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: What are the possible causes for back pain, heaviness in head and ear pain? 43 hours later
What can cause numbness in knee is that part of back ache or is that a sign of multiple sclerosis

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes it may be part of backache Detailed Answer: Hello Numbness in knee can be due to compression of nerve in spine [back ache]. Multiple sclerosis is more likely to produce diffuse sensory involvement all over body. Isolated localised symptom is unlikely to be due to multiple sclerosis. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. If you are satisfied with answer do not forget to rate this answer at end of discussion. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: What are the possible causes for back pain, heaviness in head and ear pain? 11 hours later
Well that's my concern I sometimes have body aches all over my body mainly in low back that goes down to legs sometimes I get numbness or pins and needles in foot or legs had brain MRI 6 months ago negative nothing showed I have been dealing with this for yrs what is the chances of being ms 3 MRI of brain last 5 yrs negative MRI in cervical and thoracic spine or can it just be all low back thanks Also I work in front of computer 8 hrs a day can this just make back pain linger

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes long time sitting for computer can aggravate Detailed Answer: Hello again, I have studied your case. Yes long time sitting for computer work can aggravate back pain Most probable reason for your symptoms could be postural problem as you may be sitting for long time and working on computer for long time. Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- Spine extension exercises, Lying on your stomach flat lift leg 6 inches from ground, do it for other leg. Now lift both hand and leg simultaneously, 6 inch off the ground and stay Position for around 10 breathes. Core stabilizing spine exercises will help. You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. Some life style modifications to prevent pain– Take break every 40 min from computer and do some lumbar rotation, stretches, walk and get back to work. Sit with taking support to your back, and do not watch television constantly. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. For MS clinical examination and co-relation with MRI is required. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Take care.