What are the other alternatives to manage abdominal pain apart from taking medicines?

acute periods of labor like abd pain lasting 2 to6 hrs. 2 to 3 times monthly past 2 years currently made just bearable by taking Percocet, bentyl, and Ativan. recent abd ultrasound showed no structural abnormalities.bowels moving well.has no appendix.pain starts under sternum and radiates thru whole abd invasive tests wanted. we are searching ,at the very least, for better management of pain when these episode occur. hoping for help
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Abdomen pain Detailed Answer: Hello. I am happy to be able to help. I understand that you do not want invasive testing but in a patient of 89 years with a history of diverticulitis, suffering abdominal pain and requiring opiates derivatives (oxycodone) for pain relief, GI endoscopy is recommended. Currently the endoscopies are performed with sedating the patient and the risks are minimal. When starting the pain, Oxycodone 10 mg + Dicyclomine 20 mg + Lorazepam 1mg can be taken together for pain relief. If the pain persists even after six hours, the three drugs together can be used again. Also the application of heat to the abdomen (hot water bottle, electric blanket) can improve your pain. I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer. I wish you good health.